Blogging 101: How NOT to Blog

Hello guys, as you all know, I have just recently attended the 1st ever Blog Weekend Bootcamp in Mindanao last weekend. While dwelling in all those blog talks, I listed some do's and don'ts in blogging that I want to share with you guys. Do note though that these things weren't discussed during the bootcamp. Call it stream of thoughts while I was struck by insomnia at Malagos.


Allow me to share with you the things you should NOT practice when blogging. Don't get me wrong, I am not a perfect blogger myself. I have my shortcomings, too. In fact, I originally wrote this list for myself. But I thought, hey? Why not share it to the world? I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs these. Also, do know that I wrote these in a "reader's" perspective. I am a rigorous blog reader you know, I could even pass as a stalker! Anyway, these are the things that I find disturbing in the blogosphere nowadays.

Here we go:

1. Template Design 

A good template design is tantamount to increased readership. Fancy templates look really cool, but they don't actually help in terms of attracting readers. Ask me! Whenever I come across a blog that's screaming with unnecessary blog widgets, I immediately escape before it's too late. And please, let's not even talk about twinkly-twinkly and neon backgrounds! That's. Major. Eye. Sore! 

2. Images 

Photos play an important role in blogging. I guess that's very self-explanatory. The problem is, some bloggers don't know how to present their photos well. Work on your photos so as to catch the interest of your readers. I've seen bloggers who over-process their photos and I could just roll my eyes in disinterest. I mean, adding some effects on your photos is really nice, but please don't go overboard. It's not going to work, dear.  

Personally, I still prefer clean and crisp photos on blogs, those straight-out-of-cam with minimal editing kind of photos. And guess what, you don't even need to have a DSLR. I use a Canon Ixus 210 (point-and-shoot) in taking my blog photos. They may not be DSLR-ish worthy, but they're not bad either. Also, I like looking at photos with uniform/standard size dimensions. I'm  not sure if it makes a difference, but I like it that way. And lastly, please (parang awa mo na!), don't erase your face! If you have imperfections, so be it! The point is, as bloggers, it is our duty to present realism. Enough said. 

3. Grammar 

Oh boy! I am very much guilty about this. See, I rarely proofread my posts and I know this really isn't a good practice. I'm trying to work on it though. We should always try to bring our best foot forward in constructing our sentences. Always check your grammar and spelling before posting it. 

4. Style 

Another personal preference of mine when choosing the blogs I read is the blogger's style of writing. I prefer blogs with sense of humor. If you'll ask me how do you inject an interesting style on the way you write your blogposts? Only you can answer that. But one thing's for sure - BE REAL. Don't try to impress anybody. Just be yourself. Like as if you're talking to your own reflection. The thing is, there will always be other bloggers who write better than you, who's got a better writing style than you. But what the heck, there must be something in you that's a lot better than anybody else. Claim it! 

Here's a tip: If you wanna have an interesting style of writing; read books, especially young adult books. That should sharpen your vocabulary. They may not be as awesome as some of the best literature books there is. But young adult books have this style of writing that totally works for today's generation. If you find my writing style a little animated, that's due to all the YA books I've been reading. You may or may not find it interesting, but that's my style. I'm happy about it. 

5. Interact 

Try to be friendly. You are not the only person blogging on this planet. If someone leaves a comment on your post, make an effort to reply. They took time to read your blog. They listened to your raves and rants. Acknowledge your readers, no matter how little or many they are. 

6. Have Your Own Identity 

We all have bloggers we idolize, right? I sure have a lot. However, there is a thick line of difference between idolizing and copying them. Sure, they can be your inspiration in building your brand, but don't you think it would be better if you present yourself as who you really are, rather than a crystal clear copycat of someone you want to be (but can't be)? 
7. Tell Only What You Know 

Don't try to be somebody who sounds like you know everything, because that person does not exist. If you don't know all the details about say, a particular product you are reviewing, then tell it straight to the point. Don't try to invent your own stories just so you can have a super awesome write up. Or better yet, Google first! 

8. Blog with Sense 

Let me put it this way. I know a blogger who has this habit of writing titles that look something like this "Movie Review of Blah Blah Blah" and yet the content of the "review" is a boring, one-liner spill of a sentence. That is not a movie recall, honey. That's just, well, I don't know how to call it. Please be sensible enough. Bloggers are awesome people. And awesome people always have something sensible to say.

9. Think Before Your Click - No explanation needed. 

These are just my own observations. It could be different on your own perspective. But again, I wrote these not as a blogger, but as a reader. I tell you, if you'd adhere to all the things listed above, you can be sure to see me lurking on your blogs. Not that I am like, a highly important person. Duh! But hey, you do need to increase your followers, right? I can be a great addition you know! =)

How about you? What are your own insights in blogging? Share it down below! =)

This entry was posted on September 28, 2012 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

3 Responses to “Blogging 101: How NOT to Blog”

  1. Since I started blogging, I write more on what interests me and not what the readers like. I am more of a "blog-my-thoughts-slash-vent" kind. Though, lately, I'm trying my best up to reach out more. ;) Thanks for sharing this! Really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A follower of your beauty blog, I mean. :)

    ReplyDelete