I Am Infinite: Musings on The Perks of Being a Wallflower


There came a point in my life when I felt like I was being a wallflower. It happened during my junior college years, which was before I stopped for a half a year. The dreadful semester before I met my best friends. I thought I was doing well. I had a group (well, technically, when you're a nursing student, you have a default group through which you have to spend your entire semester with on hospital duties and case presentations), but they weren't my friends. I was like an accessory to their small circle of smart people. Not that I'm not smart. It's just that, nobody seemed to notice what I give to the table. There was even one time when I caught two of my groupmates gossiping. I knew they were talking about me because they each gave me stolen glances, and when I came near them, there was a whoop of silence that came out of nowhere. The moment I learned they didn't like me, I told myself to just keep calm. Get on with the flow until the end of the semester. I didn't like them either. But I wanted to get my grades up the hierarchy. It was the worst six months of my life. 


Perhaps the reason why The Perks of Being a Wallflower meant a lot to me was because I see myself in Charlie during my teenager days. I wasn't a total loner, but there were several moments when I'd eat lunch alone. Or study at the gazebo alone. Or stay at the bench along the catwalk and just observe people. I look at these people and I understand them. I look at my groupmates and with just a tiny gesture, I could easily know if they don't want me mingling with them. Like Charlie, I also have a diary. It's where I pour rants. It's where I spilled the 6-month misery I've had during that fateful semester in my junior college years. I was Charlie. And I know for sure that there are still plenty of other Chalies out there. This idea makes me feel that I am not alone in this planet.The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a beautiful story that let's us understand why there are some people who choose to be silent in one corner of the room, and that we should not bully them because they are probably suffering from a dark situation. I may not be a Charlie anymore, but I will always be thankful for those sad days that made me who I am right now. 

The book, as well as the movie script was well-written. All praise to Stephen Chbosky. I was also impressed with Logan Lerman's acting. He gave life to Charlie's character effortlessly. His portrayal stayed true to the reality of a stereotypical wallflower. He is just so adorable. Emma Watson, on the other hand,  was a revelation to me. I mean, we've seen her grow as the smart muggle that is Hermoine Granger. It takes a while to get used to the fact that she's also just like the rest of the good Hollywood actresses who could portray other roles. She did great as Sam and I love her for that. 

Needless to say, The Perks of Being a Wallflower just made it to my list of favorite movies of all time. It's the kind of movie that a lot of people could relate to. It's a story that would make you feel pity, and happy, and sad, and in love. At the same time, it's a story that gives you hope. A hope that makes you realize that no one in this planet stays lonely for the rest of his or her life. It's your story. It's my story. It's everybody's story. It's a story that makes us believe that WE ARE INFINITE.



This entry was posted on October 4, 2012 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

4 Responses to “I Am Infinite: Musings on The Perks of Being a Wallflower”

  1. I wanna watch this movie. Too bad can't fit it in my sked pa. Huhuhu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last day na kahapon sa Gmall! Not sure sa other cinemas though. :)

      Delete
    2. Watched it last Tuesday sa Abreeza, then kahapon when I checked Abreeza, wala na!!! :(

      Anyway, Perks is not just about Charlie's story. It's EVERYONE's story. Read the book too! Hats off to Stephen Chbosky!

      Delete
    3. I cried when I read the book! =D

      Baka may chance pa sa nccc mall. Wala kasing Perks dun last week. Baka this week pa. :)

      Delete