While it has been ten years since I last saw real fireworks bursting on the sky way up above my head, I still pride myself for being a resident of Davao City. Yes, we have been deprived. Yes, we unfortunately are forced to resort to blowing our cars horns, flipping our cooking pans, and screaming at the top of our lungs as we welcome the New Year. Yes, we have no choice but to suit ourselves with the colorful and blasting fireworks flashed across our TV screens. But if this is the price we have to pay to hit zero casualty, then I'd stand tall and proud as I obey the rules set forth before me. Thanks to our honorable then-Mayor-now-Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte for pushing his conviction while implementing this policy that he has transcribed ten years back. Amidst the rumors about Mindanao, being a repository of hungry terrorists, Davao City remains to be a safe place to live in: no traffic jam, clean air, huge malls all over the city, restaurants, coffee shops,no deadly firecrackers during the holidays, and what not,. What more can I ask for?
